[CS-FSLUG] Obtaining Info On Local LAN

Stephen J. McCracken smccracken at hcjb.org.ec
Fri Mar 17 23:11:08 CST 2006

>>> Oh yeah, it preferably will be a command-line utility.  Again, many
>>> thanks in advance.
>> My favorite:
>> nmap -v -sP 192.168.1.0/16
>>

> I like nmap's output better than fping's.  I'll have to explore this
> util a little more.

Actually nmap is a great utility.  You should learn about it.  fping ust
popped in my mind first.  (For different output, try 'fping -c 1 -q -s
-g <network>')

Oh, and I don't know if nmap will complain or not, but the above by
warren should be "/24" and not "/16".  Some programs will error or at
least give a warning complaint if there is a bit on in the zero part of
the mask.

sjm