[CS-FSLUG] Getting Dangerouser and Dangerouser

Don Parris dcparris at carolina.rr.com
Fri Mar 17 09:29:48 CST 2006

On Friday 17 March 2006 04:43 am, Ciaran Hamilton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, March 17, 2006 3:37 am, Don Parris said:
> > I am also getting a little more comfortable with 'more'.
>
> more is pretty dated. There's a program which offers more than more, which
> is ironically called less. It's still a simple pager, but it lets you
> scroll up (already a vast improvement), jump quickly to various points,
> and lots more.
>
> As for the whole fping thing, I was going to reply and suggest nmap, but I
> guess it's a bit late now. :) In any case, "nmap -sP 192.168.0.*" will
> ping your network, assuming you're on a 192.168.0.0/24 netmask. (of
> course, "nmap -sP 192.168.0.0/24" will do the same thing if you prefer it
> that way.)
>
>  - Ciaran.

Interesting observation:

fping -g 192.168.2.0 192.168.2.25

finds all of my hosts (2.3/22/23/24)

nmap -sP 192.168.2.*

only finds 3 hosts (2.3/22/24)

Nothing changes between running the two commands; I simply ran fping, then
nmap to see how they differ in their output.  No matter how I define the
range on nmap, it doesn't see 2.23, even though fping does.  Any ideas as to
why that might happen?

Don
--
DC Parris