[CS-FSLUG] Getting Dangerouser and Dangerouser

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 21:37:30 CST 2006

Well gang, look out! I'm getting dangerouser and dangerouser by the
minute.  Since I hooked up the SSH connection I have begun to get more
familiar with the command-line.  Just in the past week, I have used my
SSH connection to connect to another PC on my LAN like so:
Host --ssh (using non-standard port) --> home --ssh (using default
port)-->workstation

Then, because someone didn't like the formatting of a text document, I
copied it into OpenOffice.org, made it PDF file, and e-mailed it to
myself at home.  I use mutt to open the e-mail and save the PDF on the
home server.  Since FTP is blocked from where I am, I used lftp to
upload the PDF file to a webserver.

I had also wondered about accessing virtual terminals via SSH.
Although you cannot use [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[Fn], you can use 'screen', which
essentially offers the same functionality.  So I am now reading man
screen in one screen while playing around in another.  And, of course,
fping helped me see which boxes were up and running on the LAN.  I am
also getting a little more comfortable with 'more'.

mc and vim are two other 'toys' I'm playing with.  I have tinkered
with emacs, and like it o.k., but thought I should also get familiar
with vim.  Still can't say I have a favorite yet.

I could setup VNC to run on the port I'm using for SSH.  Then I could
use VNC to open a Kterm window and use SSH from there.  The problem is
that I probably wouldn't learn much about the command-line, because I
would be too busy trying to do all my desktop-oriented work.

Anyway, I'm havin' fun on the CLI.  Who knows?  I might even become a
CLI convert.  Nahhhh. ;-)

Don
--
DC Parris GNU Evangelist