[CS-FSLUG] Disturbing Ford Commercial

Ciaran Hamilton cs-fslug at theblob.org
Wed Mar 15 10:37:50 CST 2006

On Wed, March 15, 2006 5:23 pm, doc said:
> Was it a "real ad" produced with the intent
> to distribute or one produced as an in-house
> gag by marketing folks?

According to the article, it wasn't meant to even be developed:

=====
The car maker said the advert was conceived as part of a "viral" campaign,
where short videos are released on to the Internet and redistributed by
e-mail, as people find them funny. But it insisted it was not meant to be
developed. As an alternative, a clip showing a comedy pigeon being
thwacked by the bonnet, had been chosen.

"It was done as a proposal somewhere deep down in the bowels of the
agency," Ford said. "As soon as we saw it we said absolutely not. We are
appalled — this is not something we want to be associated with."

"A full investigation has been ordered by Ford and Ogilvy to determine how
this unapproved material found its way into the public domain," said a
spokesman for Ford. "The action in the video clip was totally computer
generated — no animal was harmed."
=====

Assuming that's real, then Ford seems blameless. It's their marketing
agency that should be blamed.

 - Ciaran.