[CS-FSLUG] The New Mac Intels

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Sun Mar 12 19:28:04 CST 2006

> My personal comments:  The intel based mac looks almost exactly
> like the
> G5 on the outside.  On the plus side, the mouse has a "rocker"
> style two
> -button switch.  It also has a finger control for navigating around

	The Mighty Mouse is pretty slick. Now, if they just made a Bluetooth
version...

> windows.  In terms of "zippiness", the intel mac is just as zippy as
> other intel based operating systems.  It's definitely faster than
> the G5
> based Macs.  I doubt it is half as powerful though, as some of our
> tests
> seem to indicate (I wouldn't run final cut pro on it).

	It'll be interesting to see how the Pro stuff runs on Intel once it
become available in Universal. The G5 is mighty powerful... then
again, I don't think the G5 shines nearly as well in uni-processor
configurations like the iMac as it does in the PowerMac dp's.

	The Mac Pro, or whatever they call the PowerMac replacement, will be
really sweet if they get those quad core chips from Intel in them
next year...

> All in all, it performs more like it's Unix kernel should.  It's new
> version of OSx doesn't seem to be all that different, though.  Same
> stuff, just faster for the "everyday" apps (Office, Email, etc).

	Actually, its identical, other than drivers. I'm running 10.4.5 on
my PM G5, which is one release up from what the first Intel macs came
with. :-)

	-Tim

---
Timothy R. Butler | "Every ant  knows the  formula of its ant-hill,
Editor, OfB.biz   | every  bee knows  the formula  of its  beehive.
tbutler at ofb.biz   | They know it  in their own way, not in our way.
timothybutler.us  | Only humankind does not know its own formula."
                                               -- Fyodor Dostoyevsky