[CS-FSLUG] OT: Potter, Halloween and Philipians 4:8

doc edoc7 at verizon.net
Sun Mar 5 19:14:29 CST 2006

Mash,

I think that it is important to remember the core
teaching of Jesus is that our heart condition/heart
motivation is critical.

"Do not kill" is not what the 10 Commandments says,
"Do not murder" is.  Why?  Because the heart condition
differs.

Jesus and Paul warned that life under grace is more
challenging than under the law because, for example,
one has committed adultery when one lusts in ones'
heart vs the requirement under the law that an actual
physical act occur.

So when you make the choices you listed you will need
to make two assessments:

1.  Why am I making this choice?
2.  How does this choice impact my heart?

Erwin McManus says that he has to view modern movies
so he may address his Hollywood-area congregation using
images they understand.

He says "I am a raging heterosexual and I know that if
I see certain things in a movie as soon as I walk out I
will undress and have inappropriate thoughts of the first
attractive woman I see.  I only view the movies I have
to and always bring my wife or an Elder.  We always pray
prior to and after the movie and I do not leave the theater
until I am certain that the Lord has neutralized the
power of those images as a tool of the Enemy.  I have an
elder who is a former gang member.  He has to deal with
images of violence else he will knock down the first
person who jostles him in a crowd outside."  (Paraphrased
from memory.)

To quote that great philosopher and theologian, Clint
Eastwood "A man had got to know his limitations."

HTH ... doc