[CS-FSLUG] school dress code, was Re: OT: Don't Buy Harry Potter

Eduardo Sanchez lists at sombragris.org
Sat Mar 4 16:04:01 CST 2006

OK, you sucked me up from my lurking to share some of my experiences.
Let me brief to the point of staccato writing:

1. In my country, school uniforms are widespread. Only a few schools
don't use them.

2. In a way, uniforms are expensive. Some schools use "specially
branded" shirts, for example, that you can get only at school and of
course at a premium price.

3. I hated uniforms when I was at school. I had to dress in extremely
uncomfortable clothing and endure a classroom with ~30 fellow
classmates, using just a single fan to fend off the temperature that
ranged from 75-100 F on some days. Moreover, I was growing and
changing, and I had to use that clothing even when it was physically
uncomfortable.

4. However, in a way, uniforms are great equalizer. Otherwise, a girl
could show up in plain clothes and another one in designer ones, and
this could create undesirable differences of status.

5. And yes, as a boy that I was and as a man that I am, I must admit
that you must be careful, because girl's uniforms tend to invite
voyeurism. Again, be careful...

So, I would advocate uniforms; but uniforms that are plain, economical,
and comfortable to wear, and out of practical concerns only. I cannot
care less for any preparatory school be it Christian or not; and
matters such as school pride seem to me like the stuff of Ecclesiastes
1:2. School is a nursery, and a necessary (really?) evil in our world.

Well, this was my own personal viewpoint.

Blessings,

Eduardo