[CS-FSLUG] Setting Up Connection Sharing - SUSE 10.0 - SOLVED!

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 12:33:22 CST 2006

Finally, I got it!  I had setup the DHCP server in Yast using the
external NIC as the default gateway.  It should have been the internal
NIC, which actually makes more sense.  When I thought about the
problem, here is what I saw:

The SUSE systems (1 laptop, 1 box) offer an easy way to set the
default route - and hold it - using Yast.  The Ubuntu and Knoppix
boxes would see it if I added the default route manually each time,
but would never hold that route permanently.  Because they didn't
offer a Yast module for setting the default gateway/route, I had to
figure something else out.

While the default GW for the primary box was indeed the IP address for
the external NIC, the default GW setting in the DHCP server settings
(same box) was the same.  The DHCP server, doling out IP adresses to
the internal LAN should have had the default GW set as the IP address
for the internal NIC.

Once I changed the default GW setting for the DHCP server, I
immediately tested the Ubuntu box, and then the Knoppix box.  Both
worked.  Woohoo!  Stephen, I believe it was you that said to focus on
the primary box.  Thanks!  Thanks to all.

--
DC Parris GNU Evangelist
http://matheteuo.org/
gnumathetes at gmail.com