[CS-FSLUG] Fwd: Sounds good?

Yama Ploskonka Yama at veritasacademy.net
Wed Mar 1 22:31:54 CST 2006

What makes the 2-3 year life limit for a PC is the battery - earlier
models had it soldered on, nowadays just replacing it (and maybe upping
the RAM) will keep you afloat quite a while.

I have successfully revived be-au-ti-ful laptops, classics (like a Vaio
with built in camera), by just removing the CMOS battery and main
battery.  So far I've been too lazy to replace the CMOS batteries, so
when they start I have to bypass the date setup, but they do work, when
before the surgery they had been declared "dead".

As a matter of how long a PC can be kept running, my former workhorse is
a 333 MHz pentium, and I've done quite a few things with it (I keep it
as my M$ box, for the one program I haven't been able to port to my
'screaming' 1.2 GHz linux box).  That machine originally had win 95 on
it, so, let's see, at least 8 years.

Yama