[CS-FSLUG] OT: Don't Buy Harry Potter

Nathan T. celerate at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 20:40:21 CST 2006

I happened to take particular note of the part where he said that
Rowling wasn't happy with her current income off the books and was
getting more greedy. The same though came to my mind once when I saw
her on one of those very short TV interviews between shows. Rowling
was particularly harsh on "religious groups" for not buying Harry
Potter books, claiming that if those people refusing to buy the books
was maliciously harming sales of the book. It seems to me Rowling
simply couldn't get her head around the fact that some people don't
like the books and wouldn't buy them anyway, whether they are
offensive to people's beliefs, or people just find the books childish.

Frankly, Rowling sounded like a selfish child, believing that people
should be forced to buy her books whether they wanted to or not, and
needing an antagonist to put fourth as an oppressor she chose the easy
"religion" target, claiming that censorship was cheating her out of
money she deserved.

Interpretation is relative though :-p

Here's a question, how would any company keep you from reading a book
before it's publication date if you already have that book? Here's an
even better question, how would they keep you from telling your
friends about the book, would they tap your phone lines and read your
e-mail maybe? These days I don't think those questions are paranoid at
all.