[CS-FSLUG] Networking two Linspire boxes

Frank Bax fbax at sympatico.ca
Tue Jul 25 16:31:15 CDT 2006

I've never had any trouble with Linux and Windows machines connecting to
each other on the same network via a router; until very
recently.  Recently, I can't get Linux or Win98 to see WinXP shared
folders.  I'm told this is because of NTFS file system which makes no sense
to me - I would think that the file system in use should be "hidden" from a
remote visitor.  My early WinXP systems did use FAT32 and Win98/Linux
systems could see the WinXP shared folders no problem, so maybe there's
something to it.  Someday when I have a whole day to waste I'll do a WinXP
install twice (FAT32 and NTFS) to see if that's really the problem.  I
don't share folders between the Linux systems, but I am able to ssh between
them (via router) no problems.

The only tricky part for me is Linux machines configured for dynamic ip
address.  When I remotely access the first Linux system remotely, I need to
query the router to see what ip address has been assigned to the Linux
machine I'm trying to reach.  If you try to do this locally, simply login
to the target system to find out what the ip address is.

HTH, Frank