[CS-FSLUG] Kubuntu vs Puppy

Christopher Rose kf6snj at lycos.com
Mon Jul 24 21:53:29 CDT 2006

I apoligize if some of us get this twice. I just wanted to make a comment about Kubuntu. Basically, I have been checking it out over the course of the last week. Likewise, I downloaded, burned and tested puppy 2.01. After checking out what each offers on the initial liveboot and also the install, I am persuaded to believe (whether right or wrong), that puppy linux 2.01 is the better of the two options. I say this based upon one single item that was really make or break for me, package management. I have come to love how pupget and dotpup work so easily. Not only that, but I can also use the console to run a ./configure when needed. I found that kubuntu's package manager didn't want to download any updates to my system, much less any other software from the repository. Perhaps I am the only one to have experienced this. Also, I found that kubuntu would not accept my preset system time. If I were to boot Kubuntu, I would be forced to reset the clock after load up and then reset the clock again before booting back to something else. In my humble opinion, kubuntu isn't the most user friendly of linux distributions I've tried. I am going to continue with puppy for some time to come. Now it is merely a matter of whether or not to upgrade my system to puppy 2.01 or simply to boot puppy 2.01 from cd when I want to run it.

Pax,
Christopher Rose

P.S. Written on a 1.4Ghz gateway box running puppy 1.0.7

Linux Counter User: #350477
http://www.counter.li.org