[CS-FSLUG] Distibution Help

Michael Bradley, Jr. michaelsbradleyjr at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 22:34:00 CST 2006

On 1/19/06, Christopher Rose <kf6snj at lycos.com> wrote:

> I finally have a working hard drive in my computer again. Up until two
> days ago I was swapping between Byzantine OS, D*mn Small Linux, and Puppy
> Linux. I liked the "Ogle" DVD player in puppy, the XMMS in D*mn Small, and
> the JRE that Byzantine has. What Linux distribution would offer me the best
> of all those and also allow for FireFox and RealPlayer? I am currently
> running Mandrake 8.2 (I have three of the "official" CDs that I bought at
> a thrift shop for two dollars a couple years back). I spent four hours last
> night just trying to install "file-roller", Mozilla 1.7, and FlashPlayer.
> RealPlayer and FireFox would not install  no matter what I tried. Please
> help......

I run Gentoo on my laptop and like it a lot -- flexible, easy to use
software install and upgrade tool-suite (called "portage"). It is geared,
though, to more technical and command-line comfortable users. Everything you
mentioned can be installed (and uninstalled, reinstalled, upgraded ...) with
only a few steps and no dependency-hell (dependencies handled
automatically).

      http://www.gentoo.org

Ubuntu and Kubuntu are good -- I installed the Ubuntu system and then later
the Kubuntu environment on a girlfriend's laptop, and she has never had one
problem or complaint, even with her being a complete non-techie. But maybe
those distros don't offer everything you want.

Good luck getting settled on a distro, and I'll keep you in my prayers.

In the Hearts of Jesus and Mary,

Michael Bradley, Jr.

--
My home on the Net ::