[CS-FSLUG] HD Formatting problems

Wade A Smith warm38 at juno.com
Sun Jan 15 13:26:46 CST 2006

Yep.

> You've double checked the jumpers on the drive?

Yup.

> You're either not using a cable select cable or you have the
> drive jumpered for cable select?

cable select

> What does BIOS show for the drive?

It sees it as a WD Caviar 40GB drive.

> I'm assuming you can boot from CD: what does the partition program
> (ie,
> cfdisk) show for a hard drive?  Can it partition it, if yes, does
> it
> fail on the format?

"cfdisk"?  Aint ne'er heard tell of it.  Whuzzit?

I used FDISK.  Partition OK.  Format OK.  But for Win98, only 5.9 MB of
40 MB.
PartitionMagic7 has no problems formatting it for FAT32 or NTFS or Linux.
Win98 chokes (error forgotten -- I've slept since then).  WinXP just
hangs
forever after it says it is loading the files, or it says ????.sys is all
messed up and cant be loaded (it was OK last time I used that CD).
SuSE10
says it cannot format the /swap partition (no matter where I seem to put
it)

> Answers man, I need answers!!!  :-)

Ummm... "3 1/2".  That's an answer to something.  But not really relevant
here.