[CS-FSLUG] wireless internet security

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Wed Jan 11 08:41:45 CST 2006

Ron.T wrote:

>    I hadn't thought about others trying to steal my bandwidth.
> Otherwise I don't personally have anything I'd worry about.  My son
> Nathan does a little online banking though.  The ISP does require the
> use of their own (expensive) modems, likely there is some encryption
> there.  Although it is more expensive, and offers less bandwidth, than
> wired internet I do like the portability of wireless.

I'm not aware of any banks that *don't* use encrypted connections during
such transactions. While they may not be the best, high-end encryption
schemes, it's pretty hard to picture someone in Yellowknife possessing
the sort of skills and equipment for something more common to NY City. I
just don't see your new home as a target-rich environment.

--
Ed Hurst