[CS-FSLUG] Printer and Samba

Alan Trick alantrick at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 18:11:26 CST 2006

No, this is only for the server.

The server is the computer with the printer locally.

The clients are the other computers that want to print on the printer
connected to the server.

Here's an example:

                 +---------+
                 | printer |
                 +---------+

                     [A]

+--------+        +--------+        +--------+
| client | --[B]- | server | -[B]-- | client |
+--------+        +--------+        +--------+

                     [B]

                  | client |

Normally, [A] is a USB cable and [B] is a network cable.

After you make the configuration changes I wrote about in the last
email, you will need to restart the cupd service (on the computer that
acts as the server). On Gentoo/Ubuntu you can do this:

# /etc/init.d/cupd restart

I hope that helps.

Alan Trick