[CS-FSLUG] Stupid spam poll

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Tue Dec 12 17:59:00 CST 2006

Like everyone with an open weblog, I get link-spam. Aside from taking
some preventive measures, I sometimes try to track down the spammer's
sites. Usually the provider is cooperative, and knows to keep my email
address private. At least once, the complaint was passed directly to the
spammer.

It was my Gmail account, and over the past week or so that address was
used to gain registration on a bunch of forums all over the Net. Then a
bunch of filthy pr0n links were posted in my name. In one case, he found
a forum where I was already registered, and managed to crack my
password. Most forum admins are reasonable, and I actually made friends
with a couple of them, explaining how I track down IPs and stuff.

Needless to say, I nuked that Gmail account. However, I moderate a
couple of forums where we are getting a similar rash of bogus new users
and filthy spam postings.

Anyone else seeing stuff like this?

--
Ed Hurst