[CS-FSLUG] Wow. Windows Virtualization without a Window

Nathan T. celerate at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 00:42:38 CST 2006

Given how slow Mac OS X and it's sofware runs on my Mac Mini even
after a upgrading the ram to 1GB, I'm not too inclined to run Windows
in top in a virtual machine no matter how integrated it is. I tried
FireFox on my mini earlier and Apple's own OS X page caused it to bog
down to the point where it was almost freezing, and the flickering was
horrible. Even if the machine is a Core Solo, that should still be at
least as fast as a Pentium 4, and with 64MB of video memory and 1GB of
RAM that is just absolutely awful. I felt like I could barf up my
heart when I found out that my 2 or 3 month old $700 CAD (+ > $200 RAM
upgrade) Mac was running this slow on universal and intel binaries,
all this time I thought most of them were still PPC apps and things
would get much faster after a few free software updates.

As far as upgrading goes, what Apple hardware do you think has a good
price to performance ratio? I would have thought my Mini would be so,
but for a total expense of ~$1000 on the thing by now I haven't seen
any amazing performance come out of it.

On 12/2/06, Timothy Butler <tbutler at ofb.biz> wrote:
> I'm not sure if we'll be seeing this on Linux, but it definitely is
> pretty nifty for the Mac-on-Intel crowd (I really am getting in the
> mood to upgrade my Mac).

[snip]