[CS-FSLUG] wireless security

Ritchie, Josiah S. jritchie at bible.edu
Fri Dec 1 08:56:01 CST 2006

MAC,

http://en.fon.com/

> I like securing machines, but I also like layered security.  Even the
> idea of someone poking on my network, despite secured machines, wierds
> me out.  =)  I like everything locked down more than is probably
> necessary, but I've been doing security work for 6 years now and it's
> made me paranoid.. =)

Ah, the constant usability v security discussion :-)   (GO VI!)

I know and accept the risk in support of ideals I'd like to see spread
further. If we released all the information that could be, the resulting
wane in security demand would probably cause an economic recession. :-)

I tend towards web-based applications for my personal computing like
Backpack, Gmail, Google Calendar and the like. Thus the information I
care about often isn't on my computer anyway. Using Linux exclusively
for personal computing (considering Mac for my wife), I have less
concern that some key logger or root kit will capture my passwords for
these services. I like my information to be accessible from any network
so locking down the network doesn't make sense anyway. I have to lock
down either end and encrypt the data between. This, of course, cancels
out VPN stuff, but I'm okay with that. They are overly complicated. :-)

I've just received a notice that I'm going to get a beta account for a
service called CogHead [http://www.coghead.com/] that actually has a
"point-n-click" interface for building web apps. Seems like an
interesting concept, but I doubt it can be used to build complicated
systems. I'll know better when I get time to play with it, but that is
my style of information management. :-)

JSR/