[CS-FSLUG] Debian, Knoppix, Kanotix, etc.

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Mon Aug 21 09:08:52 CDT 2006

Jerry Van Brimmer wrote:

> http://www.freenet.org.nz/misc/knoppix-install.html
>
> Doesn't look to hard to me. :-)

Installing isn't hard. Getting away from packages wholly unsuitable for
actual use after installing is what I have found very hard.

>> As far as I can tell,
>> apt-get (package manager) has to know what constitutes a legitimate
>> replacement of installed packages. Since Knoppix uses such recent
>> release numbers, and testing branch is mostly using lower numbers, I'd
>> be waiting a long time for replacement to turn Knoppix into standard
>> Debian. With the selection of oddball packages, I suspect the first time
>> I ran apt-get after changing the sources.list over to testing, if it
>> worked at all,
>
> I thought that's what you wanted.

No, it's not. I want to be able to install Debian on other people's
machines. I don't want it to take hours, which it would even if I had
broadband at their location. That is, IF it worked. So far, my
experiments with Knoppix from about 3.3 up through 3.7 indicate it is
progressively unlikely. It's a great run-from-CD distro, but a lousy
installed distro. Knopper has told me he's not really interested in
making it work better installed.

Yes, I could use Kanotix, but it shares one major flaw with Knoppix --
you have to turn around and uninstall a bunch of stuff which would never
be used, and which doesn't belong on a harddrive install. Those disks
are designed to run from CD, and installation to harddrive is just an
afterthought. The word "installing" means copying the CD to the
harddrive, with a couple of tweaks to make it run like Linux on a
harddrive. The Kanotix folks have warned me it is usually quite a
convoluted process to getting from Kanotix to Debian Testing.

Again, I simply wanted to know if anyone knew of a project to use the
hardware probing of Knoppix/Kanotix with standard Debian. I really need
the hardware detection; I really need the option of choosing package
sets; I really need it to be generic Debian (preferably Testing Branch);
I really don't want to use other distros for this particular purpose. My
own beloved CentOS is not suitable for this, because it's really a
server distro, which has some additional options which can eventually
make it a desktop.

--
Ed Hurst