[CS-FSLUG] Debian, Knoppix, Kanotix, etc.

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Mon Aug 21 08:54:10 CDT 2006

Timothy Butler wrote:
> The best bet might be to take the /etc/ folder from Knoppix and drop
> it into a normal Debian install. Perhaps boot to Knoppix, mount the
> said Debian install and then copy without ever installing Knoppix?

That might work, and I might try something like that when I have a spare
machine. However, my experience importing the /etc/ folder from a very
later distro into an older distro hasn't been good. There are numerous
mismatches in options, and I've had programs refuse to start over errors
I couldn't parse.

I'm not looking for ways to get around the problem. I'm asking if anyone
knows of a project which gives standard Debian a real hardware probing
install.

--
Ed Hurst