[CS-FSLUG] Ubuntu Christian Edition 1.0

Raphaël Pinson raphink at gmail.com
Sat Aug 19 11:14:16 CDT 2006

Le Jeudi 17 Août 2006 02:33, Don Parris a écrit :
> To be honest, I didn't know  *what* to think initially.  It was like being
> blindsided.  Here  we have believers on at least three separate  discussion
> lists all working together, or separately in some cases, to get a distro
> out there for churches, and then comes along some guy with a custom Ubuntu
> distro.  Well, I welcome the effort, and hope it will blossom nicely.

I am still wondering a lot about Ubuntu Christian Edition. As I said, I've
been disappointed when it came out, and even more afterwards, because this
guy knows about Ichthux and chose to do his own project instead of joining
forces, which is something I really don't grasp.

Moreover, this guy is not a Debian or Ubuntu developer. Don't get me wrong, I
was not a developer myself when I started Ichthux. And this is the exact
reason why it took me one year to get from the live CD I released based on
Knoppix, to what I'm doing today:  I needed to be an Ubuntu developer and
learn a lot about packaging and distro-making to achieve the work I've been
doing this week. The result of this is that this guy is in the same technical
trap I was in a year ago. He obviously doesn't know to package, so all he can
do is adding existing packages, and sooner or later he'll be stuck when it
comes to tuning the configuration or migrating from Ubuntu. Well, he's been
smart enough to release scripts to migrate and tune the distro. But what will
happen when people want to upgrade to a newer version of Ubuntu CE? There's
no traceability in the scripts, and it's eventually going nowhere, eventhough
the idea is great. Now again, don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing Ubuntu CE,
this is not my goal at all. I just find it sad that this guy spends so much
time on a project that is technically going nowhere, when we have the tools
and knowledge to go forward. The fact is that the Ichthux project currently
gathers many official Christian developers in Ubuntu and Debian, so we can
work directly upstream, including Ichthux in Ubuntu and Debian and working on
packages directly in Ubuntu and Debian.

I'm also personally disappointed by the fact that Ubuntu CE seem to have begun
to sell t-shirts and other kind of goodies before actually releasing
software. I have a hard time understanding how goodies can come before there
is even a program, and I also don't love seeing merchandising on an
open-source software website ;) Ubuntu has lots of goodies around, but
nothing is sold on the webpage.

I really wish good luck to Jereme, but I'm afraid he's going to have a hard
time going much further than where he is currently.

--
Raphaël Pinson
<raphink at raphink.net>