[CS-FSLUG] Christians taking action...

'Mash mashdot at gmail.com
Sat Aug 19 09:44:38 CDT 2006

Hi everyone,

I have not posted in ages and true to myself when I do it has little
to do with technology.
For the past week I have been thinking about how that as a Christian I
can profess to love Jesus and his teachings yet live my life in
complete contradiction to this. In contradiction in the choices I make
regarding being part of a larger evil.

Let me explain.
I recently found out that my local Supermarket here in the UK is
actually owned by Walmart.
Now from my limited understanding and I am starting to learn more,
Walmart appears to be horrendous in the way it operates regarding
employees, product acquisition, contracts etc.
After some more research the whole Walmart company appears to be
abusive and corrupt, a systemic evil that is hurting people all over
the world except those who shop there.

Now this whole thing started me thinking about the bigger picture. Why
is it as Christians we can sit back on Sunday, absorb the joy and then
go out and commit "indirectly" the most heinous evils known to man.
That we will buy certain products , support certain companies which we
all know are destroying lives. It is possibly the most selfish thing I
have ever heard of. How dare we profess to love God yet suck up the
luxury of certain products which are causing abuse to hundreds of
families in other countries. Why is it that as Christians we are
accepting this , being a part of this and not standing up for justice.
Why as Christians are we living in the lap of luxury yet only a few
hours away people are dying from lack of water. YET WE ARE NOT DOING
ANYTHING AS CHRISTIANS !

I know full well that it is an almost impossible task to live outside
of some circle of corporate abuse but I see little evidence that
Christians even care. Why are we not taking the time to talk about
where we should be shopping, who we should be supporting, what we
should not be part of.

Here is an example which has fallen on my heart. At some point, God
willing I will be at a point in a relationship where I should be
thinking of buying an engagement ring. I do not believe I will be
purchasing a diamond. That is unless I know exactly where that diamond
was mined. If my wife really wants one then we will spend as long as
it takes to find one that comes from the correct source. I am not and
will not let my wife wear some luxury item with which hundreds of
people have shed blood over. Moreso I dont see why we should actually
spend a huge amount of money on a diamond in the first place. I pray
that the sort of women God has for me would rather give that sort of
money away then wear it on her finger.

What I am getting at is that I want us to stop for a minute and think
about what we have, where it came from. What we are buying tomorrow
and the next day. Which companies we support, which companies we have
the option to not support. Spend time looking for alternatives, those
which encourage people, help people and even build the kingdom.

Lets start living Jesus rather then just talking Jesus.

Somewhat ranty

'Mash