[CS-FSLUG] [Linux4christians] Re: NIV Bible for Linux (off list topic)

David Aikema david at aikema.net
Mon Aug 14 16:47:13 CDT 2006

On 8/14/06, David Aikema <david at aikema.net> wrote:
> I see. I did not know the thing with "let", (though it doesn't appear
> to change doctrine) and I am old enough to remember the old meaning of
> "gay". Though even if I weren't, I don't see how one could find the
> modern meaning applicable in the context, although it may cause undue
> amusement to the under-10 set (the same sunday school cretins who
> catch wind of the old word for "donkey"...).

These changes may not alter doctrine, but to me they do suggest that
it would be a wise idea to adopt something other than the KJV -
perhaps something rooted in that translation (eg. the KJ2000 that
someone mentioned) or an entirely fresh translation.

Linc: I think that there are more to objections against the KJV than
your earlier comment that these were comments about the language were
"excuses."  The language has not remained static, and in some cases
this would cause words (such as those in my examples) to be
interpreted differently now than they might have been back then.

Dave