[CS-FSLUG] Intel FOSS Graphics Drivers

Nathan T. celerate at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 14:57:39 CDT 2006

On 8/10/06, Timothy Butler <tbutler at ofb.biz> wrote:
> I'm just curious, will any of you start using Intel graphics adapters
> over nVidia or ATI because of the release of official FOSS support
> from Intel? It certainly sounds like a nice step (and one that so far
> neither of the other major graphics card makers has done).
>
> I haven't tried them yet, has anyone else?

Intel's integrated chips are far from impressive imo, all the ones I
know of that they make share the processor and system memory, so from
a gaming perspective they're a very bad choice. I don't know how many
of you have played Age of Empires III yet, but even with my good
nVidia card the graphics settings need to be tuned down for the
graphics card to keep up. I can't think of much besides games that
need 3d support, although Linux is moving towards increasing eye
candy.

It's good that intel is making open source drivers available, and I've
used a few integrated intel graphics chipsets, overall they've been ok
for quite a few things, including light weight games. I'm hoping that
following this move they start putting out some external 256 MB 3D
capable graphics cards, but then Linux has no games I know of that
could leverage that kind of hardware yet anyway.

My former computer had a 2 or 4 MB integrated Intel graphics card, it
was an i810. It played tuxracer and armagetron fine.