[CS-FSLUG] Still a "cult leader"

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Sun Aug 6 17:57:06 CDT 2006

> Puppy is also much quicker and vastly smaller.
>
> I am guessing that all of the code-heavy distros
> are slower, e.g. Mandrake, Linspire, etc.

	It depends  lot on the optimizations and such, since you can run the
same D.E.'s on any of them. Mandrake was always pretty snappy since
everything was compiled with 586 optimizations back when that was
still a gee-whiz kind of feature. SUSE never seemed that slow to me,
other than YaST, which was extremely slow since it insisted on
running a bunch of completely unrelated configuration scripts
whenever one changed anything.

	Pretty much any distro can be snappy if you switch to a minimalist WM.

	Ubuntu seems to me to be the best of the bunch at the moment,
offering a distro that follows GNOME's aesthetically pleasing simple
and clean ideology combined with the beauty of Debian. It also is the
closest in design, IMO, to Mac OS X, which is the goal *nix should
aim for, IMO.

	-Tim

---
Timothy R. Butler | "Because philosophy arises from awe, a philosopher
tbutler at ofb.biz   | is bound in  his  way to  be a lover of myths  and
www.uninet.info   | poetic fables. Poets and philosophers are alike in
timothybutler.us  | being big with wonder."
                                                      -- Thomas Aquinas