[CS-FSLUG] Seeking opinions

Nathan T. celerate at gmail.com
Sat Apr 29 02:46:38 CDT 2006

This whole discussion has been interesting. So far I've gotten lots of
warnings about DeVry and schools of the same nature which I'm more
cautious about now, and I've gotten the message that a University,
thought harder, is also more deserving of my time.

I've been looking forward to post-secondary CS for years, I loved in
in high school, and by helping out some of the girls I got just about
the only female attention I could (what with being a reclusive geek
and all) ;-) . There was even a real cute girl in my CS 30 class who
would hug me for helping her out, but she already had someone.

I love programing, I get the same kick out of it that I got from
pre-calculus math when I came up with my own solutions, or that some
people might get from finishing a very complicated picture puzzle. I
still remember in CS 30 when we got the the Towers of Hanoi problem;
without looking anything up I worked out a formula to determine the
number of jumps required to solve the puzzle (without skipping any
pegs in one jump) based on the number of disks, and then I wrote a
program that could solve the very same puzzle, no matter how many
disks it was given,in the least possible number of moves.

What's really tearing at me now is picking between electronics and
programming, I hope I won't have to choose in a real university,
because I do have to in every college and technical institute I've
looked at. We've recently gotten into playing with kits in electronics
 class at school, the class is actually enjoyable when we're working
with soldering irons and circuit boards, the school even has those 300
in 1 electronic kits with the breadboards and I experimented with one
project putting resistors in parallel until I managed to change it
from a second clock to a contraption that made video game sound
effects.

I'm pretty tired right now, so even though this looks fine to me, it
might very well be gibberish to the rest of you. Thanks for your
prayers! God willing I'll find the right school, get there, be able to
afford it, and be able to take care of myself. Don't stop offering
your advice if you have any, I'm still feeling like God has yet to
open a door. Now I'm feeling like DeVry is a fallback option if I
don't find a University, kind of like God's left that door half open,
but only in case I need it.