[CS-FSLUG] LXer Readers Debate Linspire's Contribution

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 16:07:39 CDT 2006

There has been a somewhat interesting debate on LXer regarding
Linspire's standing in the FOSS community.  One of our former editors,
Carla Schroder, wrote a rebuttal of Pamela Jones' article blasting
Linspire.  Here's Carla's article (with link to the Groklaw article):

Here is one of the threads that resulted from Carla's article:
http://lxer.com/module/forums/t/22508/

Reading the article will display all the related threads, but this one
was particularly interesting.

I was curious how folks on the list here feel about it all.  Needless
to say, Linspire have placed themselves in an interesting position.
While I understand the desire to make closed codecs/drivers available,
there should be a goal to develop libre codecs/drivers to replace the
former.  Linspire seems more interested in maintaining the status quo,
rather than seeking to mover people away from closed source software.

Regards,
Don
--
DC Parris GNU Evangelist