[CS-FSLUG] timestamp, was Re: Fw: GM vs Microsoft

Stephen J. McCracken smccracken at hcjb.org.ec
Mon Apr 17 10:33:17 CDT 2006

Ritchie, Josiah S. wrote:
> Ubuntu does that, without freezing and changes time according to
> daylight savings time also. Gentoo didn't have any trouble with that
> when I was using it regularly either. :-)
>
> You're looking for NTP stuff. I don't know how SUSE handles it. I think
> ntpdate is the name of one of those programs that I used on Gentoo.

ntpdate (part of the ntp package) is what will query and external server
once and set the clock.  It would work like WinXP does put in a cron job
once a week.  If you want better accuracy and your machine is usually
on, you might want to try running ntpd (the daemon).  It will query it's
external servers starting once every 64 secs and skew out to querying
once every 1024sec (about 17 minutes).  It tries to calculate a clock
skew correction factor so that if you do lose network connectivity your
clock should still run pretty well.  Look at the http://www.pool.ntp.org
project.

sjm