[CS-FSLUG] CPU Temp variables

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Sat Apr 15 11:44:05 CDT 2006

> Hardware query: I have a P4 Celeron 1.8Ghz.
>
> Recently I replaced my CPU fan. The new one was the only thing
> available
> at the time, with a copper cooling tower. I've been investigating the
> CPU temperature issue, and find mine is mostly between 42C - 48C. In
> that range, the BIOS seldom turns on the cooling fan. Only if there is
> significant disk and CPU activity does the fan come on.
>
> Is this proper behavior? Were I able to adjust the temperature when
> the
> fan should come on, should I change it? What would be the numbers?

	Ed, I'm not sure what's standard on PC's these days, but usually on
my PowerMac the fans only turn significantly if the temperature goes
to 58C (although that's fairly common because of the density of the G5).

	I don't know, but I don't think that is particularly hot. It seems
to me preferable to keep it coming on as little as possible.

	-Tim

---
Timothy R. Butler | "Aim at heaven and you will get earth thrown in.
Editor, OfB.biz   |  Aim at earth and you get neither."
tbutler at ofb.biz   |                                   -- C.S. Lewis
timothybutler.us  |