[CS-FSLUG] TD: Gospel of Judas

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Sun Apr 9 12:15:55 CDT 2006

> My concern is just preserving the truth of scripture. I am not
> against serious discussion. I am merely against letting a
> hereretical document like this so-called gospel being considered
> canonical. Certainly

	My inclination is that no one is going to argue for this to be
canonical. Even those intrigued by the Gnostic Gospels usually
haven't made much of an effort to add them to the canon -- even if
they thought the Gnostics were more accurate than the orthodox.

> it is worthy of serious dicussion insofar as to origins and reasons
> as to why it was written (even the canonical scriptures were
> written for a purpose). However, I would sooner argue that the
> gnostic gospel of Thomas should be included in scripture than to
> see this one (of course I have found Thomas much easier to stomach
> than the "Essene Gospel of Peace") into the canon. Then again, what
> do I know? I haven't started seminary....yet!

	Thomas has its troubling spots though. By the way, have you ever
read the Infancy Gospel of Thomas? Now that's a different one!

	-Tim

---
Timothy R. Butler | "It may be that  when the angels go about their
Editor, OfB.biz   | task  praising God,  they play only Bach.  I am
tbutler at ofb.biz   | sure,  however,  that when they are together en
timothybutler.us  | famille they play Mozart."
                                                       -- Karl Barth