[CS-FSLUG] Labor laws

David M. dmcglone at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 30 06:32:21 CDT 2005

On Friday September 30 2005 2:21 pm, Fred A. Miller wrote:
> On Friday 30 September 2005 5:02 am, David M. wrote:
> > I've been googling for a couple hours on labor laws that consider an
> > employee late for work but I can't find anything.
> >
> >  I have always been under the impression that you have 7 minutes after
> > your scheduled time to make it to work without being considered late.
> >
> > Is this true? Can anyone point me in the right direction with any
> > information on this subject?
>
> Labors vary from state to state.

This and what Don said about the subject being defined by the employer is what
I had initially thought.

But then again this is just a speck of icing on the cake considering the
guidance I am seeking.

This is one of those situations where "The Pot can't call the Kettle black",
where the Pot happens to be the new assistant manager and the Kettle happens
to be the employees, which includes my wife.

Although my wife is never late for work, there are quite a few other things
that this so called assistant manager is trying to pin on her, but it's this
assistant manager that is doing all the wrong doing.

The way I see it, this assistant manager is abusing her position by leaving
early whenever she pleases and showing up late, scorches her employees when
one of their kids is sick or has a doctors appt, but when her child is sick
or has to see the doc it's ok for her to take the day off or leave early.

The problem here is the employees are afraid to say anything because of fear
of losing their job. My wife walks around upset and sick half the time
because she is afraid that if she makes the slightest wrong move she'll end
up losing her job, but we cannot afford for that to happen.

One employee got so fed up with this assistant manager that she went looking
for another job, when the assistant manager got wind of it when one of the
employers called her for reference, she fired her on grounds that were not
true at all which included arriving late, obsessive absence and some other
accusations that were not true.

I told my wife that she needed to talk with the District Manager, but she is
also afraid to do so.

So that is why I have been looking up information on labor laws etc etc, so I
can try and protect my wife and give her guidance in the event that she is
wrongfully treated.

--
David M.