[CS-FSLUG] Cheap laptop for FOSS experimentation/development/work

Don Parris evangelinux at matheteuo.org
Fri Sep 30 09:44:17 CDT 2005

Michael Bradley, Jr. wrote:
>                                                             JMJ + OBT
>
> I'm thinking about purchasing a new laptop that I can dedicate to
> experimentation, development and work with/on FOSS. I want to buy a
> cheap one, but not a piece of junk that I will spend hours agonizing
> over in attempts to get it working properly, etc.
>
> Anyone here made a similar purchase recently? What about the WalMart
> specials? Something at Best Buy?
>
> Thanks for your recommendations and warnings.  :-)
>
> In the Hearts of Jesus and Mary,
>
> Michael Bradley, Jr.
>
> --
> [Jesus said] Tell aching mankind to snuggle close
> to My merciful Heart, and I will fill it with peace.
> + Diary of Saint Faustina #1074 +
>
> My home on the Net ::
>    http://homepage.mac.com/michaelsbradleyjr/
>
> IC XC NIKA

I believe you can still order Linspire laptops from Wal-Mart's website.
That's a fairly proprietary distro, but definitely easy for end-users to get
started.  I purchased a refurbished Dell Latitude C610 (for our ministry)
for $475 that works very well thus far.  It is quickly becoming my primary
desktop.  I got it from DiscountPC Int'l.  You can go to my del.icio.us page
to get to the site (and see some others):

http://del.icio.us/gnuxtian/shopping

Most of their systems come with Windows, but I got an OS-less box because it
happened to be available.  I can't swear by the other vendors, but
DiscountPC forgot the power supply, which they subsequently sent on my
calling them about it.  I feel like I got treated well and a good deal out
of the transaction.

To be honest, pretty much anythin made by Dell, HP, and IBM ought to work
nicely with Linux-based GNU systems.  Dell and HP both sell GNU/Linux
desktop systems overseas.  Check with Tuxmobile (http://tuxmobil.org/) to
see which laptops work best.  They have a nice listing of articles where
folks post information about installing various distros on a given model.

Blessings,
Don