[CS-FSLUG] Cheap laptop for FOSS experimentation/development/work

Nathan T. celerate at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 20:46:02 CDT 2005

Acers are interesting, they can be about CAD $200 less than most other
brands I've seen as far as the low cost models go. I don't know how they
compare to other machines, but they were recommended to me when I was asking
about a laptop that would run Linux in this list. I ended up going with a
Toshiba and I don't regret that decision; however, next time I go shopping
for a laptop I don't think I'll ignore the Acer models like I did before.

Perhaps someone here who has an Acer could tell you more about it, my reason
for not getting one was because the price was lower so I thought perhaps the
hardware wouldn't be as good or more importantly the battery life would be
shorter. My Toshiba has about 3 1/2 hours of battery life. I really can't
tell you that much about Acers, except that most people are happy enough
getting the Acer desktop machines for doing homework. They aren't game
machines, and they probably won't handle all the nice fancy graphics Xorg
can be made to do, but they'll run Windows or Linux quite well and should
even be able to games.