[CS-FSLUG] Intelligent design...

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Sun Sep 18 15:26:39 CDT 2005

> I have'nt chimed in on this topic but want to inject my opinion, and
> that is all this is, regarding the presuppositions behind your
> comments. From your comments you serve a very limited, deistic, God.

     Nah. :-) Note that deists, like Jefferson, explicitly rejected
miracles. I do not. I simply think if the Bible describes something
that sounds like God working within the confines of the laws he
created (e.g. molding man from dust rather than only saying "Let
there be man"), that seems to indicate something, and I think it is
worth taking note of that. If I was strict deist, I wouldn't be able
to agree with a lot of things on the statement of faith for CS, not
the least being the idea of the resurrection of Jesus.

> You presuppose that God's intervention must be explainable naturally.
> To make such an assertion places God in subjection to His creation. I
> would say that the method by which God raised Jesus or created Adam is
> completely irrelevant.

     It is irrelevant to salvation, yes, but does that mean we should
simply shut off our brains and not inquire?  I think God gave us
rational brains to explore the depths of the universe he created, and
I am convinced that in the end, whatever we discover will not
conflict with God.

     Now, think about it: if we are talking about something made of
matter, such as Jesus' body, presumably some process had to happen --
even if it was instantaneous -- to convert the dead flesh back to
living. Jesus had the same body, albeit glorified, hence how he was
able to show the wounds from the cross.

> Theistic Evolution is an interesting idea
> except that it produces theological problems because it places man in
> descendency from animals which the biblical account does not do. Man
> is a special creation, seperated from God's creation of other animal
> species so any adherance to evolutionist ideas becomes problematic for
> theological reasons.

     I agree. Thus, why I do not believe in theistic evolution of the
species. I do believe evolution is occurring at present, but I do not
believe you can trace man back to lesser species. But frankly, I do
not care terribly much, if we could take a time machine back and show
that evolution did happen just as the evolutionists claim -- my faith
is not dependent on stuff like this, hence why I do not mind looking
at fairly casually.

     As a mentor and friend of mine once dubbed it, this is the
"nonchallance of faith." Because our faith depends only on the
redeeming grace of Jesus, it matters little how everything else
happened as with regards to or belief. Genesis 1-3 itself can be made
to fit fairly well with evolution, presuming you decide to take it
poetically,  the big problem arises in the region of theodicy, as we
try to justify the problem of evil. Let's not concede to evolution,
but also let's avoid making people feel they must throw out what they
believe about our origins before they accept God. If someone believes
in evolution, they can still be saved.

     But, again, I'm a creationist, myself.

> I do not advocate the promotion of intelligent design or creationism
> as a science because it is fundamentally rooted in theology. But I
> reject evolution and even its theistic branches because they produce
> theological difficulties.

     Well -- and perhaps this is where we disagree -- I am quite
convinced that science can, if given enough time, explain how things
began here on earth to a substantial extent. If Archbishop Usher's
calculations were correct, then, if science is someday perfected,
that will show up. So, I do think there is room to discuss things
like creationism and intelligent design, but we must approach them
from the opposite way that we'd like to. That is, we must examine why
evolution is problematic from a scientific standpoint. Doing so
allows us to say, "well, we can't explain this -- it would virtually
never happen randomly -- so take that for what you will." Those who
have an inclination of faith will obviously see where this leads:
back to God.

     The finite creation cannot point back to the infinite God in
full, but it does have his fingerprints.

> I also submit that it is unreasonable to subject God to our
> naturalistic understanding of the universe because it is far too
> deistic and shrinks God. God can override the natural order and I
> would assert does. I would say that the ressurection accounts in the
> Bible are wholly unnatural because our universe is defined by death
> and decay due to the fall which is overriden by ressurection. Also
> think of the account of the Sun standing still from the Old Testament,
> this is a wholly unnatural occurence and can only be explained if we
> allow God the sovereign ability to override the natural.

     Sure, He can, we must simply ask why. I think God is fairly
economical concerning breaking the laws He created. God is nothing if
He is not consistent. Why would He break what He created? Is it not
more reasonable to presume that God simply has created laws, perhaps
ones we'll never even be able to detect with our imperfect ideas and
equipment, that allow Him to manipulate the universe without breaking
its laws?

     Obviously coming back from the dead does not happen just by
itself. God had to be involved, but I wonder if he didn't some how
"set up the lab" just right so that the processes He designed did
what He wanted.

     As Karl Barth said, God is the only one to have true freedom.
But, God's freedom is the freedom to be Himself. We know from the
Bible that God is unchanging. If He is unchanging, it seems to me
that maybe implying that he keeps changing laws of any sort does not
make sense.

     A lot of people disagree with what I am saying because they
think I am saying miracles do not happen. Au contraire! A miracle is
not so much a violation of natural law as it is God causing, leading,
doing something, regardless of how. For example, if I pray that I can
talk to a given person, and not thirty seconds later, the said person
"just happens" to walk in the door -- have any natural laws been
broken? I don't think so, but it still seems like a miracle to me and
you'd be hard pressed to convince me God did not have his hand in
such things.

     Here's a real life example: last year a teen was reported
missing somewhere on the East Coast. She'd been missing for days. One
night a person who did not know her couldn't sleep and felt led to go
take a walk alongside the road. There off the side of the road, she
spotted the wreckage of a car. She called the police, they went down,
and they found the said teen alive and just a bit dehydrated. Now, no
laws of nature were violated, but I'd say this is very much
miraculous. Think, for that matter, of Joseph -- everything that
occurred (other than the interpretation of the dreams themselves)
seems fairly natural, but God has His hand in the natural as well as
the supernatural.

> To require natural expalnations damages the sovereignty of God and is
> something I would absolutely reject. We do not have a picture in the
> Bible of a God who is bound by nature but of one who is supreme over
> the natural.

     Right. I do not deny that God can violate the laws of nature, I
just don't think he does so gratuitously.

     -Tim

---
Timothy R. Butler | "Do  not forget that  the value and interest of
Editor, OfB.biz   | life is not so much to do conspicuous things...
tbutler at ofb.biz   | as to do ordinary things with the perception of
timothybutler.us  | their enormous value."
                                       -- Pierre Teilhard de Chardin