[CS-FSLUG] Intelligent design...

Don Parris evangelinux at matheteuo.org
Thu Sep 15 23:39:04 CDT 2005

dmc wrote:

<snip>

> Every science textbook should be required to state
> clearly that the theory of Darwinian evolution is
> one among many theories, none of which holds any
> legitimate claim to have explained in a purely
> secular context the origins of the species nor the
> means by which differing species or even basic
> complex life forms (bacterium containing mechanical
> sub-systems which cannot exist without the
> instantaneous presence of all of the elements in
> full working order) came into existence.

One of the things that struck me about the concept of Intelligent Design is
the fact that the Scientists - whatever their faith, or lack thereof - could
not answer how our universe even managed to exist.  According to them,
whatever "big bang" occurred, it had to happen at such a precise time, that
the odds of it happening by accident were, well, astronomical.

The sad thing is that the rest of our society has not figured out that
Science does not have all the answers to every question.  In fact, for every
question answered, how many more crop up to be explored and answered
further?  Thus, we only see part of the picture at any given moment.  We may
see more now, than we did 300 or 1000 years ago; but it is still not the
whole picture.  We ought to be humbled at the realization of that fact.

Blessings,
Don