Lord's supper (was Re: TD: Benny Hinn (was Re: [CS-FSLUG] RFC: Change of Statement of Faith)

dmc edoc7 at verizon.net
Wed Sep 14 19:40:53 CDT 2005

> I can't say. And, is "banned" the correct word? ;) I simply said, unleavened
> bread is THE CORRECT thing to use. Many would consider it not that important
> an issue, and I'd agree that it's probably at least "legal" to use grape
> juice and soda crackers. It is "correct," however, to use wine and unleavened
> bread. By the way, throughout the US, MOST protestants did use wine for
> communion, until Proabition, and then started to use grape juice.
> Fred

I think that we are again confusing man's rituals and traditions
in a semi-legalistic fashion with Biblical meaning and purpose.

Living under New Testament post-ascension Christian grace means
that the heart is key, the expression is merely a mechanical
evidence.

Jesus over and over and over made His point that it is not
the amount or the specific ritual but the heart condition
with which He was concerned.

He chose to follow the Jewish traditions because He was
making clear that He was a) Fit to be the representative,
and b) He was the *fulfillment* of the prophesies and
rituals, all of which pointed to Him.

When we obsess about the minutae we are in direct disobedience
to one of His clearest themes -- freedom from the hard yoke and
heavy burden of the Judaisers and legalists.

The bread and wine (whatever you want to speculate "wine" means,
and that is all it is, mere speculation) are merely *symbols*.
When we make them more than mere symbols, either by reading-in
too much as Roman Catholic doctrine does or become rigid as
to the form of the symbol, we at-best muddy the real point.

I would far prefer that one use a donut and coffee and have
a true heart for the meaning than wine and unleavened bread
and miss the meaning in a Jesus-forbidden obsession with
"Endless repetition and mindless recitations."

IMHO, YMMV ...

--

Blessings ... doc

       /\ /\