[CS-FSLUG] TD: Orthodoxy (was Re: Benny Hinn)

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Sun Sep 11 19:58:37 CDT 2005

On Sunday 11 September 2005 8:26 pm, Timothy Butler wrote:
> >>      I must admit that the Orthodox church really intrigues me. In
> >> many ways it seems to have the best claim to Apostolic authority
> >> (since it has remained much the same since early church times), its
> >
> > Yes.....it does. VERY, VERY little has changed in much of Orthodoxy.
>
>      I'm not always for inertia, but sometimes it is good. :-)

Yes.......very true. ;)

> > I can't find anything in Orthodoxy that I don't agree with. What
> > SHOULD have
> > happened with those who rebelled against the Catholic church, was
> > to SUPPORT
> > Orthodoxy. Had that happened, the "face" of Christiandom would be
> > totally
> > different today.
>
>      Yes, I do wish that had been the case. I think Luther,
> especially, would have found good synergies with the Orthodox, since
> his was a desire to reform, not start something entirely different
> from the Catholic church.

Yes, and KEPT the liturgy which was preserved from the apostles.

> > Well, the Puritans didn't have a clue in some ways either. ;) And,
> > YES, we
> > have lost a GREAT deal.
>
>      True. :-)
>
> >>      I have a friend who is Orthodox and I always mean to ask her
> >> more on the view from the inside, but haven't. I suppose from the
> >> denomination always looks greener from the other side of the fence.
> >> While in America, she has been rather impressed with the Lutheran
> >> Church (LCMS). :-)
> >
> > Well, I wouldn't because there are so many liberals. I wish there
> > was an
> > Orthodox church close by here, but there isn't. :(
>
>      Wouldn't what? Go to a Lutheran Church? The LCMS is pretty
> conservative, I'd say, at least here, where all the churches are
> within an hour's drive from the headquarters. :-)

Probably why. Here - NADA!

>      There are a few not much farther than my own church in my neck
> of the woods. Perhaps you should move to St. Louis! <g> I'd be nice
> to have ya, anyway.

Thanks! I'd moved a long time ago, if it weren't for our 2 kids and
grandchildren, which are now 4 of them. Unless God chooses for us to be
elsewhere, here is were we'll stay. ;)

Fred

to you, at this time.