[CS-FSLUG] TD: Orthodoxy (was Re: Benny Hinn)

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Sun Sep 11 19:10:24 CDT 2005

On Sunday 11 September 2005 6:50 pm, Timothy Butler wrote:
> > instead of soda crackers. So, there are none of us who are towing
> > the line
> > like we should, except maybe for the Orthodox church and it's not
> > perfect.
>
>      I must admit that the Orthodox church really intrigues me. In
> many ways it seems to have the best claim to Apostolic authority
> (since it has remained much the same since early church times), its

Yes.....it does. VERY, VERY little has changed in much of Orthodoxy.

> doctrines seem mostly agreeable -- though I have some qualms with
> them, just as with any denomination... mostly, in this case, with
> their theology that is more Arminian (though long predating Arminius,
> of course, it is just easier to refer to it by that) whereas I am
> most certainly a Calvinist in most ways.

I can't find anything in Orthodoxy that I don't agree with. What SHOULD have
happened with those who rebelled against the Catholic church, was to SUPPORT
Orthodoxy. Had that happened, the "face" of Christiandom would be totally
different today.

>      But, I like the way it operates. It seems to stand firm in its
> views, but be willing to work ecumenically to some extent. It seems
> not to waiver much in the face of the world's changing views. And, I
> appreciate the idea of a traditional liturgy. I always feel like us
> Protestants have lot something of the mystical side of faith by
> rejecting the liturgical experience (the Puritans roll over in their
> graves as I write those words).

Well, the Puritans didn't have a clue in some ways either. ;) And, YES, we
have lost a GREAT deal.

>      I have a friend who is Orthodox and I always mean to ask her
> more on the view from the inside, but haven't. I suppose from the
> denomination always looks greener from the other side of the fence.
> While in America, she has been rather impressed with the Lutheran
> Church (LCMS). :-)

Well, I wouldn't because there are so many liberals. I wish there was an
Orthodox church close by here, but there isn't. :(

Fred

to you, at this time.