[CS-FSLUG] NI: Should more public agencies heed Massachusetts' OpenDoc policy?

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Thu Sep 8 15:45:22 CDT 2005

Should more public agencies heed Massachusetts' OpenDoc policy?

 According to a state official, Massachusetts is moving to open standards not
for economic reasons but to protect the public's right to unfettered access
of public documents. Too bad FEMA didn't have the same foresight. As ZDNet
blogger Paul Murphy points out, the federal agency's online registration area
for disaster aid is only accessible, according to FEMA's Web site, by
Internet Explorer 6. FEMA isn't alone in committing a public access faux pas.
I wonder: Could Massachusetts end up breaking Microsoft's back?

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/index.php?p=1812&tag=nl.e539

to you, at this time.