[CS-FSLUG] OpenDocument password recovery

Nathan T. celerate at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 00:04:01 CDT 2005

On 9/6/05, Frank Bax <fbax at sympatico.ca> wrote:

> At 01:12 AM 9/6/05, Nathan T. wrote:
> >I really need to recover the password for a spreadsheet made with a beta
> >version of OpenOffice.org 2.0,
>

> Too bad. What is the point of password protection if it were so easily
> cracked? Did you happen to save it in another format (like MSO)? Did you
> check backup directory for files?

Upon further examination it seems the files are dead, I've checked my
backups and the only one that still works is much older. I've taken the
files appart and found that SHA1-1k is used to make a hash from the password
which is then used to verify the password, but that's no good now as it's
obvious that the files are damaged and that might be why OO.o thinks the
password isn't any good. This is not isolated to one file, other
OpenDocument files from OO.o 2 beta are so badly damaged that even ones
without password protection won't open, I don't know what is wrong
with OO.obut the version 2 beta seems hacking up it's own spreadsheet
files (happened
three times so far, not too common, but annoying and potentially
disasterous).

I hate to use MS Office because it's not friendly with any other office
suite, so I might very well have to dig up my Java books and write a program
to do what I had the spreadsheets for. Personally I'm no fan of Java, but I
lost all use of Qt after version 4 was released and I was left trying to
learn it all over again.