[CS-FSLUG] RFC: Change of Statement of Faith

Nathan T. celerate at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 23:51:40 CDT 2005

On 9/6/05, Fred A. Miller <fmiller at lightlink.com> wrote:

> On Monday 05 September 2005 3:45 am, Nathan T. wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > I for one am happy not being baptised, circumcised, slain in the spirit,
> > speaking in tongues, or any of that other stuff. I won't say it's wrong
> > since that's not my place, but personally I think most of that today is
> > wrongfully interpreted and has become superstition.
>
> Maybe not "superstition," but there is MUCH in the Charismatic movement
> that
> is suspect, at best, IMHO.
>
> Fred

In all fairness I might have been a little one sided, but from what I've
seen all this stuff isn't so much about God any more as it is about
tradition or simply about being one of the guy's, and in many cases it just
gets creepy. I've been a church before where people thought they were
speaking in tongues, for the most part it was constant repetitive
incomprehensible babble or other unusual sounds, it was creepy and very
un-Christian if you ask me. Another thing that bothers me, while Baptism is
something we probably should do, is all the pressure and people's desires to
make it a public scene. I'm way too shy to be baptised in public right now,
but the pastor at the church I'm currently at has dodged to bullet every
time I asked him if a private baptism was possible. As far as being slain in
the spirit goes, I've seen that one abused far too much; It may have
happened in the bibile, but from what I've seen at the same church where I
saw people who thought they could speak in tongues, I would question whether
those people were really slain in the spirit, or whether they simply forgot
to have breakfast before comming to church.

Anyway, that one church I'm remembering this stuff from was very wierd, and
I'm old enough now to decide which churches I'll attend for myself.