[CS-FSLUG] It's a Tragedy: Want to Read It?

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Tue Sep 6 18:03:12 CDT 2005

Hi everyone,
     I felt inspired to try to write a tragedy (a play, not a
problem). I've been doodling on it for several months and have it in
a semi-final draft stage now. It still isn't perfectly clean, but it
is to the point where I am wondering what to do with it (inspiration
being what it is, I didn't contemplate that beforehand). I'm looking
for a small number of people who might be interested in reading it
and giving me your thoughts on it and whether it needs anything more.

     It is written in five acts (ala Seneca, Shakespeare and Jonson,
among others), but is written in modern English prose, so don't let
that comparison scare you off. It draws inspiration from, among other
places, Marlowe's Doctor Faustus; if you are not familiar with
Faustus, I'll just say the play deals with the "battle for the soul"
in a modern setting (Iraq). The whole thing is going to weigh in at
less than 30 pages, including a several page introduction, making it
a fairly short play...

     It makes some theological points, but the drama itself is
designed in such a way where it could potentially provide a good
discussion afterward, presuming everyone wasn't bored to death, first
(I can't really say whether that'd be the case, since I've spent too
much time with my characters to recognize whether they are
interesting or not).

     It should be ready for "beta testers" very soon, so if you're
interested, I'd be grateful to know. I'll be sending it out in PDF. I
will be asking that you do not redistribute the draft I'll be sending
out, but if you can think of anyone not on the list that'd be
interested, feel free to send them my way too.

     Any takers?

     -Tim

---
Timothy R. Butler | "Now  that  I am a  Christian  I  do have moods
Editor, OfB.biz   | in which the whole thing looks very improbable:
tbutler at ofb.biz   | but when I was an  atheist I had moods in which
timothybutler.us  | Christianity looked terribly probable."
                                                       -- C.S. Lewis