[CS-FSLUG] Curious about Linux networks

Ritchie, Josiah S. jritchie at bible.edu
Mon Oct 31 11:52:33 CST 2005

I think you are asking a question that reflects an MS mindset. MS has
put together an "all-in-one" protocol. Linux/Unix looks at all these
things through different protocols. For printing, CUPS works nice. For a
window environment, XFREE is the key. For file sharing securely, mount
an ssh drive. Ubuntu makes that trivial through the "Connect to
Computer" utility. SMB is also an option. There are utilities to mount
ssh filesystems to windows computers, but the best are not libre. I
assume I don't need to expound on the security benefits of ssh over nfs
or smb?

In most office environments, the networks sharing such files are assumed
to be of a certain trustworthyness so they are okay and the best
solution. For smaller environments like your bedroom, ssh would work
fine.

Basically, you want an all-in-one protocol when the best solution is to
do them individually IMHO. Many network printing solutions for large
windows networks with domains setup implement third-party solutions
somewhere in the printing connection. Remote Desktop, though you didn't
mention it, is a separate protocol in Win.

If you really want to play with some powerful programs, check out the
world of AFS and its similar protocols. http://www.openafs.org One of
these days I'm going to figure out what that's all about, but I don't
have time. If you figure it out, I'd like to hear about you experience.

JSR/