[CS-FSLUG] Curious about Linux networks

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 03:32:58 CST 2005

On 10/30/05, Nathan T. <celerate at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
>  I'm not sure if I've just been using Windows too long, but it seems the
> only relatively advanced networking protocol for home networks that I know
> about is smb. I do know about NFS, but my only experience with it portrayed
> it as a very simple networking system where you count on all the computers
> on the network to have users who behave themselves, and no advanced features
> like printer sharing are implemented. Don't get me wrong here, I'm not
> saying that's all it can really do, that's simply the extent of my very
> limited experience with it.
>
>  I would like to know more about the different networking options in Linux,
> especially ones that are included with most distributions by default. Third
> party protocols such as Novell netware interest me as well, I would like to
> know though of one that is very well implemented across Windows, Mac OS X
> and Linux, especially if it's easy to set up and configure.
>
>  Thanks.

I agree with Tim.  SMB, advanced networking?  Yeah, right!  Anyway,
you might try OpenAFS, the libre implementation of the Andrew
FileSystem, which  does not come installed by default on any GNU/Linux
system that I'm aware of, but is available for it through OpenAFS.org.
 You can use it in a hetergeneous environment as well.

Don
--
DC Parris GNU Evangelist
http://matheteuo.org/