[CS-FSLUG] Curious about Linux networks

Nathan T. celerate at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 01:31:31 CDT 2005

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if I've just been using Windows too long, but it seems the only
relatively advanced networking protocol for home networks that I know about
is smb. I do know about NFS, but my only experience with it portrayed it as
a very simple networking system where you count on all the computers on the
network to have users who behave themselves, and no advanced features like
printer sharing are implemented. Don't get me wrong here, I'm not saying
that's all it can really do, that's simply the extent of my very limited
experience with it.

I would like to know more about the different networking options in Linux,
especially ones that are included with most distributions by default. Third
party protocols such as Novell netware interest me as well, I would like to
know though of one that is very well implemented across Windows, Mac OS X
and Linux, especially if it's easy to set up and configure.

Thanks.