[CS-FSLUG] SuSE 10.0 and monkeySoft

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Thu Oct 27 11:00:08 CDT 2005

I do not have SuSe on my computer (I have three distros, and not one of
them is SuSe) so I cannot speak with 100% certainty.

There are two main ways to access your windows shares from a Linux box.
The easy way, is usually through your favorite browser in the GUI mode.
A great number of the browsers (I do not think thunderbird has it, but
Konqueror and others have this capability.) have built-in file-sharing.
Instead of starting the URL with http://, you use smb://
For example: "smb://win98" will connect to the computer named "win98" on
your network.

If you do not have a GUI installed, the browser does not suppor the smb
protocol, or if you want to simply connect to the share from the
comandline, here is how.

You need the smb-client package.  Some distros bundle the smb-client and
smb-server packages together.  But most keep them separate.  The main
thing is that you need the command: smbclient

First, do a smbclient -L [computername]
that will list all the shares available on that computer.
Then you can connect to a share through the smbclient interface
(reminiscent of ftp) by:
smbclient //[computername]/[sharename]

The last command-line approach is something you are recently familiar
with, through "mount."
You can do it two ways:
    smbmount //[computername]/[sharename] /mntpoint
    (smbmount //adin/shareddocuments /mnt/samba)
or
    mount -t smbfs /[computername]/[sharename] /mntpoint
    (mount -t smbfs /adin/shareddocuments /mnt/samba)

Since that last one works, you can edit the /etc/fstab and have an entry
that will automatically mount specific directories off your windows
computers.  Just put "smbfs" for the type of mount.

One final note.  To access the share on the XP box, you will need to
supply a valid username/password combination.  This is done by adding
the username and password information in the options of the various
commands.  Since each command has a different way of doing it, I will
leave that research up to you.  But, here is where to find that information:

man smbclient
man smbmount
(the mount program calls smbmount, so the options are similar)

Hope this helps,

    - Tim Young