[CS-FSLUG] ADMIN: News Item Posting

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Wed Oct 26 16:44:57 CDT 2005

I would like to point out Ed's post from the others as the official
standpoint of the list:

-----
Actually our central theme is how faith and FOSS affect each other. The
moderators posted an appeal to be more restrained in posting things that
were peripheral to faith and FOSS, but some forget. So here we have an
official reminder from a moderator:

C'mon folks, this is not an extension of your personal mailing list.
Let's
try no more than 3 tagged messages per member in 24 hours, hmmm? If you
have time to post it, take the time to self-filter. Not a hard and fast
rule, but a target. Let's not force the moderators to play rough, okay?
-----

     Now, speaking only for myself now, I would say both sides should
consider giving a little. A few general comments:

1.) If you want to post news and so forth, please, please use proper
tagging. "NI" for News Items *only*, "TD" for theology *only* (prayer
requests are on topic), "PD" for political discussions and "OT" for
anything else that seems fairly off the major topics of faith and
FOSS (Windows and other non-*nix related OSes, jokes, etc.).

2.) We've talked about this one before: please do not post just links
consistently. Posts should have some useful information without the
need to follow links (a small paraphrase and one's own commentary
would be best, but a small clipping from the article is good too;
remember on the reverse side of the token, you should not post
complete copyrighted works to the list).

3.) If you do not like NI, TD, PD or OT posts, consider filtering
them out. That's what the tags aim to do.

4.) If you do not like the aforementioned types of posts, please
consider e-mailing the administrative list, Christiansource-
admin at ofb.biz. If we get enough complaints, that may encourage me to
turn on Mailman's own filtering system, which I believe would allow
you to opt out of receiving posts in you subscription preferences.
I've not tried it, so I don't want to spend a lot of time on it if no
one would use it, however.

     -Tim

---
Timothy R. Butler | "Bad is so bad, that we cannot but think good
Editor, OfB.biz   | an accident;  good is so  good, that  we feel
tbutler at ofb.biz   | certain that evil could be explained."
timothybutler.us  |                           -- G. K. Chesterton