[CS-FSLUG] OT: Can this list be split?

dmc edoc7 at verizon.net
Wed Oct 26 11:20:34 CDT 2005

> Like it or not, Christianity tells us *not to judge*. Yes, that INCLUDES
> Gates, Ballmer, and Microsoft as a whole. Judgement is reserved for our
> God. Let's focus on constructive criticism, not out-and-out attacks, hmm?

I sure pray that this horrific theology will one day be
purged from Christian discourse -- as Steve Brown would
say "It stinks and smells and comes from the pit of Hell."

I am not attacking the person who posted these words, I
am speaking against the one who initiated this bad teaching
and those who repeat it from positions of leadership.

It is a combination of sloppy translating work and of
sloppy application.

Biblical Christian teaching tells us not to "judge" where
another person stands in the matter of their salvation, and
even that is modified by Paul who says we may discern the
presence of the Holy Spirit (the most critical element of
true salvation) -- as I recall Paul was speaking about
selecting leaders at the time.

We are also told not to hold others in distain as if we are
in any way superior.  A different use of "judge".  We are
never told to be blind to reality nor to fail to speak the
truth, albeit in love.

When we misuse the term "judge" in this way we create
an environment where no accountability may occur inside
or outside of the church -- people become too afraid of
being slapped with the scarlet letter "judging".  That
is deadly - we saw the fruits of that in Paul's 1st Century
struggles with the young church and we see it today as well.

We are instructed to be "discerning" about matters
of fruits and to interact with people accordingly.

If Bill Gates uses his power to abuse others we are
free to label his actions for what they are and to make
decisions about avoiding helping him with our dollars.

If Mr. Ballmer makes clearly wrong statements about
Linux we are free to correct his misstatements and
to question his integrity as he clearly knows better.

Jesus is our perfect model, was He wrong when He called
the abusive power brokers of His day "whitewashed sepulchers",
"vipers", "children of perdition", etc?

Did Jesus sin when he cleared the area outside the temple
with a whip, overturned tables, & caused merchandise and
animals belonging to others to be damaged and set free?

As for Christians, when we discern that a "brother" is
in trouble we are to confront him in love with the truth,
if he fails to respond correctly then we are to request
church discipline.  If he is at all teachable we are to
walk with him toward healing and restoration, if he is
unteachable then as did Paul, our example, we are to
put him out of the church for a time to allow the Lord
to discipline him -- and to defend the other sheep.

If we fail to do so we harm the brother and the church
by our fear-driven or laziness-driven failure to confront
sin.

Let's not turn the church that Jesus created into some
wimpy powerless boundaryless "can't we all just get
along" social club.  Such was not the church Paul spoke
of nor the one into which he spoke with authority.

Perhaps I have spoken too firmly but from what I have
observed in the modern (and historic) church I seriously
doubt it!

--
Respectfully,

David Colburn, D.Min., M.A.Co.