[CS-FSLUG] To SHFS or SSHFS...

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Thu Oct 20 08:54:14 CDT 2005

The SSHFS webpages do not have much information about the tech specs,
except through the fuse pages.  The fuse developers have had a fair bit
of experience writing filesystems.

The SHFS seems to be something first developed in college, then expanded
out a bit.  But from some of the design considerations, and from some of
their code-bases, they will probably have a decent system.

But, from the technical side of things, if you are going to be replacing
NFS, it is probably more practical to go with a non-userspace product.
A kernel module will be much more efficient than something running in
user-space.  If this file-sharing will be used regularly (for every-day
sharing of files) this will be important.  If it is being used for
one-time applications, then it does not matter all that much.

The down-side, of course, to either of these, is the limited usage.
NFS, for example, is used world-wide in nearly every predominantly *nix
networking environment.  So finding local support (people at the church
who are comfortable maintaining it) will be more difficult.  But that is
just my perspective as someone who regularly supports other people's
computers.  Incorporating either of these into a network will not be as
seamless as adding the entry into the /etc/fstab file and watching it
boot up.  :)  But, of course, I do not know the situation that inspired
the change, so I realize I should be careful opening my mouth...

Blessings,

    - Tim Young